Below are some of the best and most used research publications in circulation on CVS at this time. Research is still in its infancy when it comes to CVS, but as you can see from the below articles and abstracts, we do have some good information to work with for now. It is of the utmost importance that we raise funds for CVSA to help fund these research endeavors! The research is how we will move forward in learning about what causes, and how to treat, this disorder.
Most of these links will take you to the abstract of the publication. If you’d like to view or download the entire article, look for and click the links that say “full text version” or “PDF”.
- Fleisher, David R Empiric Guidelines for Treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
- Li BUK, Chelimsky G, Boles R, et al: North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology, and Nutrition. Consensus statement on the diagnosis and management of CVS. J Pediatr Gastroenter Nutr, Sep;47(3):379-93, 2008
- Sunku, Bhanu Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome A Disorder for All Ages July 2009
- Venkatesen T, Adams K, Li BUK, et al: A Survey of Emergency Department Use in Patients with CVS. BMC Emerg Med. Feb 24;10(1);4, 2010
- Boles R, Zaki E, McCallum R, et al: Are Pediatric & Adult Onset CVS Biologically Different Conditions? Relationship of Adult Onset CVS with Migraine & Pediatric CVS Associated Common mtDNA Polymorphisms 16519T and 3010A. Neurogastroenterol Motil. Sep21(9):936-e72, 2009
- Kumar N, Bashar Q, Venkatesen T, et al: CVS: Is There a Difference Based on Onset of Symptoms – Pediatric Versus Adult? BMC Gastroenterol 12:52, 2012
- Venkatesan T, Jyotirmoy R. Sengupta, Naveen Reddy, Bashar Qumseya, Abigail Schroeder, Kathleen Adams, Walter J. Hogan, B.U. Li. Cyclic vomiting syndrome : The clinical response and treatment profile in 101 patients. Presented as a poster at Digestive Diseases Week 2009. Gastroenterology, 136, A-376-A-377,M1227.
- Venkatesan T, Sally Tarbell, Kathleen Adams, Trish Barribeau, Jennifer McKanry, Kathleen Beckmann DO, B U.K. Li MD. To ER is human: emergency room use in cyclic vomiting syndrome. Presented as a poster at Digestive Diseases Week 2008. Gastroenterology, 134:M 1818.
- Evans RW, Whyte C: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and Abdominal Migraine in Adults and Children. Headache. 53(6):984-93, 2013
- Fitzgerald M, Crushell E, Hickey C: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome Masking a Fatal Metabolic Disease. Eur J Pediatr Oct 11, 2012
- Hikita T, Kodama h, Kaneko S, Amakata K, Ogita K, Mochizuki D, Kaga F, Nakamoto N, Fujii Y, Kiduchi A: Sumatriptan as a Treatment for Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: A Clinical Trial. Cephalalgia. Mar;31(4):504-7, 2011
- Joseph D. Tobias MD, Professor of Pediatrics and Anesthesiology, University of Missouri, Department of Anesthesiology, Health Sciences Center, One Hospital Drive, Columbia, Missouri, MO, USA Dexmedetomidine For Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome
- Abraham M, Porter P: Clonidine in Cyclic Vomiting. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr, Aug;53(2):219-21, 2011
- Fleisher, David R Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in Adults
- Fleisher, David R An Essay on the Management of Adult Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome, Including the Use of Opiates: Questions Posed and Lessons Learned from Clinical Management of 216 Patients.
- Fleisher D, Gornowicz B, Adams K: CVS in 41 Adults: Illness, Patients Problems of Management. BMC 3(1):20 2005
- Hejazi RA, McCallum RW: Review Article: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in Adults – Rediscovering and Redifining and Old Entity.
- Namita Pareek, M.D., David R. Fleisher, M.D., and Thomas Abell, M.D. University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, Mississippi; and University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome What a Gastroenterologist Needs to Know
- Bashashati M, McCallum R: Neurochemical mechanisms and pharmacologic strategies in managing nausea and vomiting related to CVS and other gastrointestinal disorders Eur J Pharmacol. Jan 722C:79-94, 2014
- Li BUK, Balint J: CVS, Evolution in our Understanding of a Brain-Gut Disorder. AdvPediatr 47:117-160, 2000
- F. Namin, J. Patel, Z. Lin, I. Saroseik, P. Foran, P. EsmaeiI & R. McCallum Clinical Psychatric and Manometric Profile of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome in Adults and Response to Tricyclic Therapy
- M Muraoka, K Mine, K Matsumoto, Y Nakai, T Nakagawa Psycogenic Vomiting The Relations Between Patterns of Vomiting and Psychiatric Diagnoses
- Tarbell S, Li BUK.: Psychiatric Symptoms in Children and Adolescents with CVS and Parents. Headache. Feb;48(2):259-66, 2008
- Hajazi RA, Reddymasu SC, McCallum RW. Efficacy of Tricyclic Antidepressant Therapy in Adults with Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: A Two-Year Follow-Up Study. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology 2010, 44:18-21
- Prakash C, Clouse R: CVS in Adults: Features and Response to Tricyclic Antidepressants. Am J Gastro 94 (10):2856-60, 1999
- Philippa Bridge-Cook, PhD Hormones Matter: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and Mitochondrial Dysfunction: Research and Treatments January 28th, 2014
- Zake E, Adams K, Boles R, et al: Two Common Mitochondrial DNA Polymorphisms Are Highly Associated with Migraine Headache and Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome. Cephalagia, July, 2009
- Boles R: High Degree of Efficacy in the Treatment of Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome with Combined Co-Enzyme Q10, L-Carnitine and Amitriptyline, A Case Series. BMC Neurology,11:102, 2011
- Venkatesan T, Stephanie Wagler, Nilay Kumar, Jyotirmoy Sengupta, Abhilasha Pandey, Abigail Schroeder, B.U. Li, Kathleen Adams, Richard G. Boles. Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: Quantitative Pedigree Analysis for Maternal Inheritance Patterns in Adults and Children. Presented as a poster at Digestive Diseases Week 2010. Gastroenterology, 138, S-458.
Charles Darwin had CVS
- Hayman, JA. BMJ. 2009 Dec 10, 339;b4968. Darwin’s Illness Revisited
- Finsterer J, Hayman J: Mitochondrial Disorder Caused Charles Darwin’s CVS. International J of Gen Medicine, Jan 8;7:59-70, 2014
- Hayman J: Charles Darwin’s Mitochondria. Genetics. 194(1):21-5, 2013
- Hayman J: Charles Darwin Returns to the Dermatologist. International Journal of Dermatology, 50, 1162-1165, 2011
Neurology/Autonomic Nervous System
- Chelimsky T, Chelimsky G: Autonomic abnormalities in CVS. J Pediatr Gastroenter Nutr Mar;44(3)326-30, 2007
- Venkatesan T, Prieto T, Li B et al: Autonomic Function in Adults with CVS: A Prospective Study. Neurogastr Motil 22(12):1303-e339, 2010
- Ahmad S, Babaei A, Venkatesan T, Massey BT, Shaker R. Assessment of white matter tract integrity of brain in cyclic vomiting syndrome by diffusion tensor imaging. Accepted for Digestive Disease Week 2012
- Li BUK, Williams S: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome: Clinical Features and Comorbidities. Contemporary Pediatric, 29:34-46, 2012
- Tarbell S, Li BuK: Health Related Quality of Life in Children & Adolescents with CVS. J Pediatrics, 2013
- Allen J, de Moore G, Twartz J et al: Cannabinoid Hyperemesis: Cyclical Hyperemesis in Association with Chronic Cannabis Abuse. GUT 53(11):1566-70, 2004.
- Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome: Literatrue Review and Proposed Diagnosis and Treatment Algorithm. Wallace EA, Andrews SE, Garmany CL, Jelley MJ. South Med J. 2011 Sep;104(9):659-64 doi: 10.1097/SMJ.0b013e3182297d57
- Choung R, Locke G, Lee R, Schleck C, Zinsmeister A, Talley N: Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome and Functional Vomiting in Adults: Association with Cannabinoid Use In Males. Neurogastroenterol Motil. Sep 27, 2011
- Galli J, Sawaya R, Friedenberg F: Cannabinoid Hyperemesis Syndrome. Curr Drug Abuse Rev. Dec 4(4):241-9, 2011