By far, the best treatment for myself that I have found for CVS is the reduction of stress, in all forms. I have found yoga and meditation, along with regular running/exercise to be the best methods of quieting my anxious mind. Here are some helpful online resources on stress management, anxiety, and coping.
- Yoga Journal Online
- www.aacap.org – Click on the “facts for Families” link
- www.ADDA.org – (Anxiety and Depression Association of America) (Find a Therapist, information on anxiety disorders and evidenced based treatment, self-help for panic.)
- www.ABCT.org – (Association for Behavior and Cognitive Therapies (Find a therapist, information on treatment)
- Antony, M and McCabe, RE. (2004) 10 Simple Solutions to Panic: How to Overcome Panic Attacks, Calm Physical Symptoms, and Reclaim Your Life. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Bourne, E (2011) The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. 5th Edition. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Bourne, E & Garano, L (2003) Coping With Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear , and Worry. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Burns, D. (1999) The Feeling Good Handbook. Penguin Books.
- Clark, L. SOS Help for Emotions: Managing Anxiety, Anger, and Depression. Bowling Green, Ky: Parents press, 1998. www.sosprograms.com
- Davis, M. Eshelman, E, & McKay, M. (2008) The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook. 6th Edition, New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Hayes, S. (2005) Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Forsyth, J & Eifert, G (2007) The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Knas, W. (2006) The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Depression. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Marra, T. (2004) Depressed and Anxious. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA
- McKay, M & Fanning, P. Daily Relaxer Audio Companion. (CD-Audio). New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- McKay, M & Fanning P, NS ona, (2011) Mind and Emotions. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Seligman, M. Learned Optimism: How to Change Your Mind and Your Life. New York: Pocket Books, 1998.
- Stahl, B. (2010) A Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Workbook. New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Strosahl, K & Robinson, P. (2008) Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Depression.
New Harbinger, Oakland, CA.
- Essi Systems. (2012) StressMap: Personal Diary Edition. A stress management self-assessment and compoing guide. Harper Collins, NY.
- Wagner, A (2005) Worried No More: Help and Hope for Anxious Children. 2nd Edition. Lighthouse Press, Rochester, NY.
- Chansky, T (2004) Freeing Your Child From Anxiety: Powerful, practical solutions to overcome your child’s fears, worries, and phobias. New York: Broadway Book
- Rapee, R. et al. (2008) Helping your Anxious Child: A step-by-step guide for parents. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Foa, E & Andrews, L (2006) If Your Adolescent has an Anxiety Disorder: An essential resource for parents. Oxford, England: Oxford University Press.
- Frank, T & Frank, K (2003) The Handbook for Helping Kids With Anxiety and Stress. Chapin, S. C.: Youthlight Inc.
- Barnard, M. (2003) Helping Your Depressed Child. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications:
- Culbert, T & Kajander, R. (2007) Be the Boss of Your Stress. http://www.frespiritpress.com
- Hamil, S. (2008) My Feeling Better Workbook. Oakland, Ca: New Harbinger Publications.
- Huebner, D (2006) What To Do When You Worry Too Much: a Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety. Washington, D.C: Magination Press.
- Lite L. (1996) A Boy and A Bear: A Children’s Relaxation Book. Plantation, FL: Specialty Press.
- Lite, L Indigo Ocean Dreams: 4 Children’s Stories Designed to Decrease Stress, Anger, and Anxiety While Increasing Self-Esteem and Self-Awareness (Audio CD – 2006)
- Shapiro, L et al. (2009) The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook For Kids. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
- Biegel, G. (2009) The Stress Reduction Workbook For Teens. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications
- Garland, EJ. (1997) Depression Is The Pits – But I’m Getting Better. Washington, D.C.: Magination Press
- Hipp, E. (1995) Fighting Invisible Tigers: A Stress Management Book for Teens. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Publishing.
- Lite, L. Indigo Teen Dreams: Guided Relaxation Techniques Designed To Decrease Stress, Anger, and Anxiety While Increasing Self-Esteem and Self-Awareness. (Audio CD – 2006)
- Miller, A (2007) Teen Guide to Living With Anxiety Disorders. Publisher: Facts on File
- Schab, L. (2008) Anxiety Workbook For Teens. Instant Help Publications.
Apps For Stress Reduction:
- Breathe2Relax – Free. (iphone or Android). Paced breathing exercises. Education on stress response and stress management.
- CBT-I Coach – Free. (iphone or Android) This app focuses on insomnia. The “tools” section has some very useful strategies for managing worry, relaxation and meditation.
- Calm – Free. (iphone or Android) Relaxation exercise.
- My Calm Beat – Free. (iphone or Android) Paced breathing exercise.
Biofeedback Home Trainers for Stress Reduction
- Stress Eraser – www.stresseraser.com
- EmWave2 – www.heartmathstore.com or Amazon
- Heart Math 6400 Inner Balance Sensor for iOS – By HeartMath. Sensor attaches to iPhone or iPad.
- Heart Math Inner Balance – Lightning sensor for iPhone 5 and iPad Air.
These compact (size of a phone) devices provide feedback about heart rhythm, which serves as a way to monitor your body’s response to stress. Use of the trainer involves practicing breathing techniques while monitoring your heart’s response to the breathing exercises. With practice you may be able to modify your body’s responses to stress.